For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why I was so drawn to the characters in the Raven Cycle series, especially Ronan or Kavinsky. They’re so contradictory and prickly, what could I possibly see in them, especially Ronan?
Well, my friends, the mystery is solved: it’s because I, small and hateful angry bean, AM RONAN LYNCH.
For the love of fuck, look at this shit!
I dress like that on accident, man! That is an actual face that I make at other human beings. (I’m the one on the left, by the way. I know some of you probably didn’t know that)
How many times have we fallen in love with a book or a series because we resonate so closely with the characters? I’ve been devoured by these books, turned completely inside out, chewed up, and spit back out. It’s like looking into a mirror and seeing yourself in typewriter font.
For example, here is the List of Things That I Have In Common With Ronan Lynch Because I Need More Reasons To Stay Awake At Night
- trust fund babies
- literally, we’re just privileged assholes with no verbal filters
- my birthday falls on St. Patricks’ Day aka the Irish Day; Ronan is Irish af
- taste in music that everyone fucking hates
- don’t talk to us when we have headphones on, don’t touch our tattoos
- give us a something fast and we’re happy
- or, give us music and alcohol and we’ll be restless but better
- we both lost parents and turned into bitter douche canoes
- we will both end your life if you fuck with our baby brothers
- or our friends
- fucking with my friends is a sure-fire way to get your life ended
- wear black and keep our resting bitch faces on point but are really full of feelings
- a LOT of feelings
- both think our boyfriends are some sort of godlike angel when in reality we are dating huge nerds
- super sensitive to all things. don’t deny that Ronan Lynch is a sensitive mofo, he literally won’t let Gansey boy make other friends
- both of us have had Kavinskys in our lives; we ended up not being with them because they were toxic af and would’ve ruined our shit
- love our dads very much
- treat our pets like children
- NIGHT TERRROOORS
- like no friends but really fond of the ones we have
- beings of rage and love
- raised on a farm
- raised Catholic AF
- hates most things, including ourselves
- is either dropping the F-bomb, flipping you off or being sarcastic
- actual trophy wives
- would rather die than hurt someone we love
- PTSD, depression, and anxiety up the wazooo
There’s more, a lot more, but that’s the general gist of my argument. We fall so hard for these characters because we see ourselves in them. We love them when we cannot love our own souls. They are catalysts to the breaking of our hearts and the slow, aching awareness that brings us back to wholeness. The characters we love are constellations in the galaxies that reside in our bones.
I am so elated to be made up of these beings, these people that I will never meet. Their presence forces me to stop and remember my gushing affection or them and that reminds me to love myself, as well. The cycle is continuous and beautiful and my gratitude for the writers who penned the puzzle pieces of who I am is infinite.
I did actually pick up reading again – my book hangover has subsided a bit. I’m currently listening to We Are Okay by Nina LaCour and reading The Young Wives Club by Julie Pennel. I heard that you kind of need to force yourself to read again and that it really helps to pick something in a completely different genre. So, I guess I’ll read other books until my Dream Theif trilogy arrives. I GUESS.
In the meantime, I have my gorgeous new tarot cards, drawn by my Scorpio soulmate Maggie Stiefvater herself to work with. My favorite part of these cards is the accompanying book that comes with them – the translations are witty as hell. Its hard to find cards with translations that you actually resonate with! I swear this is a problem in the cartomancy community!
I actually had dreams about ghosts and my cousin last night but the best part was that she greeted me with a Jersey accent, mimicking my problematic son Joseph Kavinsky, and said “DICK GANNNSSSSAAAAAY THE THIRD!!”. It was such a calming sensation, hearing a 17-year-old drug Bulgarian drug addict mobster’s voice come out of my 21-year-old, and very female, cousin’s voice box. I’m not kidding, I woke up and I was like “So this is how the pieces fall together”
I hope everyone has a book character that they love so much it causes them physical pain. I know that I have several, because life is a fucking nightmare.
That’s all there is,
The Book Witch